10-15 hours a week, unpaid, lots of hands-on experience with social media, marketing, and fundraising for a non profit
The communications intern is expected to work approximately 10-15 hours per week and must have access to a computer with a reliable internet connection. KDB is based in Durham, NC and prefer the candidate to be from the Durham area or be familiar with Durham's culture. The position will potentially allow the candidate to work remotely but will require meeting with the Communications Director and team on a weekly basis.
This internship role is primarily to assist Keep Durham Beautiful's Communication Director in managing day-to-day content on social media, taking pictures at volunteer and educational events, updating and managing KDB's website, graphic design work, and potentially helping with fundraising and advertising efforts. This position can be shaped to fit your interests, as well, with the opportunity to write blog posts, work on fundraising campaigns, etc.
This position is ideal for a current student or someone looking to increase their skill set as professional development.
While this position does not require professional photography or writing experience, but some background, whether on an educational or personal basis, is preferred.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Build and manage Keep Durham Beautiful’s social media presence sites including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Develop engaging and consistent content for website and social media outlets with the intention to grow followers by 10%
- Report directly to the Communications Director
- Photographing volunteer and educational events to both feature volunteers and provide potential marketing materials
- Work with the Communications Director on continuing to use social media strategically
- Build KDB's brand and presence
- Assisting in the maintenance of KDB's website
- Assisting the Communications Director with both digital and print graphic design for events
Qualifications and Skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Detail oriented and self-motivated
- Experience using social media sites - including Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Experience using a wordpress website or similar platform preferred
- Demonstrated interest in Environmental issues including litter prevention, recycling and waste reduction and community greening is a plus
- Preferred candidate has experience with the people, communities, and culture of Durham
- Professional development opportunities related to social media marketing
- Gain hands-on experience working on communication and marketing development for an environmental nonprofit organization
- Networking experience among Durham based environmental organizations
Please include a resume, cover letter, and writing sample.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email title "Keep Durham Beautiful Internship."