Durham Pollinator Week
join us in celebrating the animals that grow our food!
In 2007, Congress designated a week in June as National Pollinator Week: a time for communities across the country to focus on the insects, birds, and other animals that help keep our ecosystems alive and maintain our food production. As a Bee City USA affiliate, Durham is proud to host numerous events during polinator week, a few of which you can find below!
Pollinator Week Events
- Pollinator Garden Bike Tour: Saturday, June 9th, 10AM-2PM Join Keep Durham Beautiful for a casual bike ride across Durham to check out some of the many pollinator gardens that dot our city! This is a no-drop ride and suitable for all ages and abilities. Registration is $10 in advance/$15 the day of, and includes a mead tasting (21+), refreshments, and giveaways from Burt's Bees. All proceeds go to support pollinator advocacy projects in Durham.
- Bee Downtown Summer Hive Tour: Saturday, June 16, 10AM-12PM Community Hive Tours are a wonderful opportunity for you to experience the secret life of honey bees! Our professional beekeepers will walk you through how to open a bee hive, how to safely interact with a colony of honey bees and the importance of all pollinators in our environments. You do not need to have any prior beekeeping experience to participate. You will be provided with a bee suit to wear throughout the tour and you will get hands-on experience in one of our hand painted beehives. Tickets are $40, and can be purchased at the link above!
- Bee Bash at the Durham Hotel: Wednesday, June 20, 5:30PM-7:30PM Celebrate National Pollinator Week with us at our 3rd annual Bee Bash, in partnership with Bee City USA and The Durham hotel. Get inspired by the busiest workers around as you check out an observation hive from Durham Beekeepers and pollinator-friendly merch from The Durham Originals. Local beekeepers will be on hand to answer all your pressing pollinator questions and Honeygirl Meadery will be offering an insight into the world’s original boozy beverage. Plus, there will be plenty of honey-kissed cocktails and snacks from the bar. Family friendly, no cover.
- Tour Burt Shavitz's Cabin: Thursday, June 21, 9:30AM-5:30PM Experience a window into the life and home of Burt’s Bees’ co-founder, a complex man who chose to live simply in nature. First 100 visitors will receive a Res-Q ointment, Burt’s favorite product. The cabin is located next to Burt's Bees Headquarters in the American Tobacco Campus.
- Pollinator Day at the Museum of Life and Science: Friday, June 22nd, 9AM-2PM As part of National Pollinator Week, join us in a celebration of pollination with a visit to our Garden, and see real pollinators helping our plants to grow. With the help of local scientists and organizations, learn about the important role these animals play in the survival of plants and people alike. Pollinator Day is sponsored in-part by the Burt’s Bees Greater Good Foundation. Admission is free with purchase of a museum ticket.