10-15 hours a week | $500 a month stipend
Keep Durham Beautiful (KDB) is a nonprofit, volunteer organization that works to encourage residents, businesses, and community organizations to protect the environment and enhance the appearance of Durham through cleanup events, beautification projects, waste reduction, and educational activities. We are currently seeking an applicant who is interested in improving their knowledge and skill set in communications.
The Communications Specialist is expected to work approximately 10-15 hours per week and must have access to a computer with a reliable internet connection. KDB is based in Durham, NC and prefer the candidate to be from the Durham area or be familiar with Durham's culture. The position will allow the candidate to work remotely.
This position is perfect for students, someone wanting more experience with communications, or someone wanting exposure to how nonprofits operate and how to maximize the delivery of their mission.
Social Media Management (50%)
- Build and manage Keep Durham Beautiful’s social media presence sites including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Develop engaging and consistent content for website and social media outlets with the intention to grow followers by 10%
- Occasionally photographing volunteer and educational events to both feature volunteers and provide potential marketing materials
- Follow KDB's branding guidelines and to continue to further KDB's reach and brand awareness
Graphic Design & Web Maintenance (30%)
- Assisting in the maintenance of KDB's website
- Creating posters, flyers, infographics, etc. for both digital and print distribution
- Writing and distributing blog posts
- Writing and designing biweekly newsletter
- Assist in development projects such as promoting fundraising events, creating call to actions for donors, etc.
Qualifications and Skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Detail oriented and self-motivated
- Experience using social media sites - including Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Experience using a Squarespace website or similar platform preferred
- Demonstrated interest in Environmental issues including litter prevention, recycling and waste reduction and community greening is a plus
- Preferred candidate has experience with the people, communities, and culture of Durham
- Professional development opportunities related to social media marketing
- Gain hands-on experience working on communication and marketing development for an environmental nonprofit organization
- Networking experience among Durham based environmental organizations
- Wide range of responsibilities
- Opportunity to gain experience in an environmental nonprofit
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of "Communications Specialist Application."
Keep Durham Beautiful is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions will be based on job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religious beliefs, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, national origin or any other status protected by North Carolina laws or regulations.