Sign up to help make the Earth Day Festival a waste-wise event. Receive free Keep Durham Beautiful reusable cup and bag!
Volunteers are needed to help set up, staff, and breakdown waste stations that include recycling and compost options. With over 3,000 people attending the Earth Day Festival, your volunteer efforts can help divert hundred of pounds of compostable and recyclable materials from the landfill! YOU can help make Durham more sustainable.
Waste Reduction at the Earth Day Festival
When: Sunday, April 23, 2017
Where: Durham Central Park, 501 Foster Street, Durham, NC
3 volunteer shifts available:
- 11:30-1:30 pm – Set up & Waste Warrior
- 1:30-3:30 pm – Waste Warrior
- 3:30-5:30 pm – Cleanup & Waste Warrior
- Free Keep Durham Beautiful swag!
- Knowing you made a difference in how much waste was diverted from the landfill
- A big thank you!
Important Volunteer Information:
- Teens welcome – earn community service credit
- Youth welcome with adult supervision
- Dress for the weather
- Bring your own water bottle
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to your volunteer shift
Do I need to have prior experience?
Nope! You will be trained prior to your volunteer shift, please arrive 10 minutes before your shift to go over volunteer instructions and composting/recycling FAQs.
What does a Waste Warrior do?
- Set up waste stations and signs
- Set up volunteer tent
- Staff the waste stations that include composting and recycling stations (Waste Warrior)
- Educate food truck customers on how to properly recycle and compost (Waste Warrior)
- Sort waste into correct containers – trash, recycling, or compost- as needed (Waste Warrior)
- Swap out recycling and compost bins when they get full (Waste Warrior)
- Breakdown waste stations and signs
- Sort waste from food truck’s trash and recycling containers
- Break down volunteer tent