About Green Apple Day of Service:
The Green Apple Day of Service is an opportunity to transform schools into healthy, safe, and productive learning environments through local service projects. This year, Keep Durham Beautiful, the USGCB NC, and Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) Raleigh-Durham are partnering together to offer a Durham based school the funding, tool lending, and skilled volunteer labor to help with a school beautification project to be completed this fall.
Teachers, school staff, and parents are invited to submit project proposals by October 1, 2016 for consideration to be part of the Green Apple Day of Service which will take place during November 2016. Projects can include anything that beautifies the school grounds and encourages outdoor student learning about environmental sustainability. Examples include, but are not limited to – planting a rain garden, orchard installation, vegetable or flower garden beds, pollinator gardens, outdoor educational lab construction, and rain cistern systems. Competitive proposals will demonstrate valid need for funding, school and community involvement, and an ongoing maintenance and sustainability plan.
- Funding up to $500 for community greening projects to beautify the school grounds
- Tool lending from Keep Durham Beautiful
- Skilled volunteer labor to help with beautification project installation on the Green Apple Day of Service
- Assistance with project planning and logistics
Eligibility & Requirements:
- Projects must take place at a school based in Durham, NC
- Projects should relate to school beautification and encourage outdoor student learning about environmental sustainability topics
- Demonstrated ongoing maintenance and sustainability
- Projects must be approved by school maintenance prior to installation in November
- Demonstration of a valid need for funding (i.e. % of school that receives free and reduced lunch, lack of PTA or school funding to cover beautification project, etc.).
- Competitive applications will demonstrate school and community involvement in the Green Apple Day of Service project and work to tie the project into learning curriculum for students
Project Proposals due by October 1, 2016
Applications review & selection: mid-October, 2016
Green Apple Day of Service: Friday in November, date TBD