The Golden Leaf Awards for Community Appearance
Making a Nomination
Nominations for the 2016 Golden Leaf Awards are now open! Applications for the Golden Leaf Awards are available at http://www.durhamgoldenleaf.com/. See below for more information on the award categories.For more information, contact Planning Supervisor Aaron Cain with the Durham City-County Planning Department at (919) 560-4137, ext. 28226 or by email.
Making a Donation
The Durham City-County Appearance Commission works in partnership with Keep Durham Beautiful to present this prestigious event. Keep Durham Beautiful accepts donations from the community to support the ceremony and awards. This event is primarily supported by private donations. We thank you for your support of this important community event! If you have any questions please contact the Durham City-County Appearance Commission.
Golden Leaf Sponsors
Sponsors for this event are recognized in the following ways.
- $1,000.00 – Golden Leaf Level: At the Golden Leaf sponsorship level, your name will appear on our online survey site during the People’s Choice voting period, your name will be announced at the events, your name and company catch phrase or logo will be prominently displayed on the Golden Leaf Awards brochure, your logo will appear on our slideshow prior to the main event and your name will be listed in the following print material: posters, program and awards brochure.
- $500.00 – Silver Leaf Level: At the Silver Leaf sponsorship level, your name and company catch phrase or logo will be prominently displayed on the Golden Leaf Awards brochure, your logo will appear on our slideshow prior to the main event and your name will be listed in the following print material: posters, program and awards brochure.
- $250.00 – Bronze Leaf Level: At the Bronze Leaf sponsorship level, your name will be listed in the following print material: posters, program and awards brochure.
- below $250.00 – Patron Level: At the Partron sponsorship leve, your name will be listed in the awards brochure.
- All sponsors are listed here on the website.
Your support can be sent by mail to Keep Durham Beautiful, 2011 Fay Street, Durham, NC 27704 or through our on-line form.
The Awards Selection Process
Nominees will be notified by the Appearance Commission’s Awards Committee. Entries in each of the categories will be judged according to the criteria by an impartial panel of local professionals without ties to the year’s entries. Awards will not necessarily be given in each category in any given year, nor are there a predetermined number of awards. The winners will be revealed at the Golden Leaf Awards Ceremony, which will be held on Thursday, April 14, 2016, at 6:30 p.m. in the Durham County Government Administrative Complex Commissioners’ Chambers, 200 E. Main Street, Durham.
Award Selection General Criteria
In evaluating entries, the panel of judges will give credit to programs or projects that:
* Exhibit excellence in the design and execution of new development or in the redevelopment or improvement of an existing site and/or structure.
* Raise community awareness of the value of good appearance and of careful stewardship of the land.
* Improve the character, environment, or livability of an area or neighborhood.
* Show a commitment to ongoing property maintenance in landscaping, signage and general upkeep.
Award for Neighborhood Garden & Landscape
The award for Neighborhood Garden & Landscape is given to landscaping, personal border gardens, or community entrance projects over one year old, which have consistently maintained high standards of appearance and upkeep, contributing to resource conservation, the preservation of Durham’s natural resources and trees, and demonstrating respect for existing features of the land.
Award for Hearth & Home
The award for Hearth & Home is given to the most innovative design for new construction, renovation, or restoration of a single-family house or residential building containing four units or fewer.
Award for Adaptive Reuse – Old building, New Design
The award for Adaptive Reuse is given to the most innovative new designs applied to existing properties either residential or commercial, especially Durham’s historic resources and inventory.
Award for Large DevelopmentThe award for Large-Scale Development is given to new construction, conversions, or improvements to either a multifamily residential property, mixed-use property, or commercial property over 12,000 square feet.
Keep Durham Beautiful AwardThis award will be given to a volunteer or group of volunteers for projects, programs or events that impact a Durham community or neighborhood, and address Keep Durham Beautiful’s mission to support volunteer efforts to:(1) beautify the natural environment(2) prevent or reduce litter and/or(3) advance efforts to reduce waste through reducing, re-using or recycling
People’s choiceThe People’s Choice Award will be given to one project selected by public vote from the nominees under considerations for any of the award categories. Voting will begin on March 15, 2016.