Join us as we celebrate Earth Day at the 2016 Durham Earth Day Festival
Earth Day Festival Rain or Shine | Free Event
When: Saturday, April 23, 2016 | 12-5 PM
- Earth Day Parade- Make your own parade percussion instrument in the Kids’ Zone to play in the parade at 3:15 p.m. All are welcome to walk in the parade, be sure to line up at 3:00 p.m. near the parking lot (we will also make announcements from the stage). Kids are encouraged to dress up as their favorite plant or animal
- Sustainability Expo – Enjoy a showcase of environmentally friendly businesses and organizations sharing information and resources with the community.
- Earth Day Market – Browse and shop for local, hand-made green goods, crafts and environmental art! Information will also be available about green products and services including sustainable building, energy and water conservation, gardening, and more!
- Kid’s Zone – Kids will have a blast while engaging with the natural world! The Kids’ Zone will feature hands-on activities from the Music Explorium, The Home Depot, Frog Hollow Outdoors, Museum of Life and Science, City of Durham Fire Department, and Schoolhouse of Wonder. We will also have face painting and coloring activities for children.
- Live Music and Entertainment – for the full schedule of events, visit: 2016 Durham Earth Day Festival
- Child Identification Card Program – The City of Durham Police Department will be on hand to create free child identification cards. This program is a way for parents to have an ID of their child in case of an emergency, although the ID itself is not a valid/legal form of identification, it will have the name, photo, height, weight, eye and hair color of the child.
- Yoga – BYOM – Bring your own mat! Participate in some light yoga exercises during our Main Stage break.
- The Blue Green Machine –BYOB – Bring your own bottle for water refills from the Blue Green Machine! Help reduce waste at this event by bringing your own bottle or cup. The Blue Green Machine provides the highest quality water available to communities from local water sources. This mobile system filters, cool and dispenses on-demand drinking water.
- Waste Wise – Help us strive for zero waste during the festival by properly sorting your waste into compost, recycling and trash bins. Zero waste is a philosophy of thoughtful reuse, composting and recycling in order to minimize the amount of waste sent to the landfill. Waste Wise volunteers will be available to help you sort and answer any questions.
- Sustainable Transportation – Participants are encouraged to “go green” by biking, walking, skating, carpooling or riding DATA and Triangle Transit to the festival.
- Bike Valet – Members of Durham’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission will house a valet bicycle parking service near the festival entrance. Ride in and valet your bicycle for free! They will also provide free bike safety checks and show you how to change a flat!
- Earth Day T-shirts –Purchase your very own Eco-Friendly Earth Day T-shirt made on the spot.
Interested in volunteering? Help Keep Durham Beautiful divert waste by showing festival goers how to properly recycle and compost. Volunteers will receive a free Keep Durham Beautiful reusable cup and tote bag. Sign up for a two hour shift here.
For more volunteer opportunities, visit the Earth Day volunteer page.
Education, art, food and non-food vendor opportunities are available. If you would like to be a vendor, submit a vendor application.
For more information, call 919-560-4355 or email Tina Chavis.